Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Message from your Fearless Leader

Hello adventurers, welcome to the blog of Drury University's Outdoor Club! Here you will find news and updates about Outdoor Club's activities. We are an official campus organization dedicated to anything and everything outdoors. We go hiking, caving, canoeing, horseback riding, rock climbing, shooting, paintballing, and more. For spring 2009, we have planned several rock climbing trips to Petra Gym--yeah, so we do SOME stuff indoors--as well as a nature hike, shooting trip, float trip, and cookout.

I have been an officer in Outdoor Club for four years and its President since 2008. I wasn't always this active in the outdoors, and the Club has taught me much! I now know how to administer CPR, shoot rifles/shotguns/pistols/bows, row properly, ride properly, and belay. I wouldn't call myself an expert at any of these, but at least I have the experience (and a shiny belay certification card)! The world has so much awesomeness to be enjoyed, even from a small Midwestern college town. If you don't believe me, come to an Outdoor Club event and see for yourself!


Sincerely,
Amy Freeland
Outdoor Club President

2 comments:

  1. Really? Shooting? I have to admit I'm a little surprised. The other stuff sounds good though. Well I guess I'll have to admit I have always wondered what it would be like to try archery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we go to the Andy Dalton Range for rifles and shotguns in the fall, and archery and handguns in the spring. Each session is preceded by a safety seminar, and we have never had an accident. We never kill anything; we shoot at bullseye targets and clay (fake) pigeons. I love animals way too much to go hunting, but shooting can be great fun.

    Our next range trip is coming up soon, on March 14. We'll be doing archery and handguns. You should join us! No previous experience is required. I had never held a gun of any kind before joining Outdoor Club. It was a little scary the first time, but the guns are very user-friendly with minimal kickback.

    I'll post more information on the shooting event as it draws near. I hope to see some of you there!

    ReplyDelete